Our favorite book we read together was The Tales of the Arabian Nights. So the word espied stayed with us so it stayed in our vocabulary. The season was Fall I could almost bet that he was on the hammock. I recieved a promotion from work, I was so excited I couldn't wait to tell him. I drove into the driveway, parked the car, and got out. There he was just like I thought. He had the dog and cat laying with him. Unusual becuase he didn't like the cat too much because it sucks on fingers and ears. I ran and jumped on all three of them. We twisted over. I hit the ground solid. The dog ran away, the cat was dazed. Charles started at a tumble in what seemed like slow motion and then started sumersaulting, his arms flapping out like birdie wings trying to fly. It looked like ballet to me. I couldn't take my eyes from what I was seeing. When he impacted the tree he stopped. I crawled over to him, he was motionless. He was on his back spread out, "Charles," I tried not to laugh, " Did you see what you acconplished?" "No, and right at this moment, I think I should be mad at you, " he said groaning. "I got a promotion." I said happily. "Can we talk about me for a moment, like what just happened, I could have been killed," his voice was garbled now. The cat came over sat by his head and started sucking on his ear lobe. The dog sat at his side and I climbed on top of him. We all loved this man. "Are you hurt, broken?" " My earlobe," he replied, "Get "your" cat away." We all got up, he was ok. Why does his hair look like it hadn't been in an accident? I was so jealous. "Look you three broke my afternoon bed." he said with his hands in his pockets, his back straight and his shoulders squared looking down on all of us. Us looking back at him. "You can fix it again, remember the time we were.. and it broke.. and you..." He tapped me on top of the head. So I shut up. He took my hand and we went into the house, sat on the sofa and we talked about my job that I was going to quit. He said I didn't have to go back, but if I felt like I had to do something, he was for it. But the best part of this was he had a woodenbox on the coffetable with our names engraved on it. "What's this? I asked. I leaned over to look closer, "Did you write this? It looks like your handwriting. How did you do this? Did you use my dremel? "It was easy," he said with pride and smiling ear to ear. "Can I open it?" I asked with caution. I know he is not an artistic type. Who did he hire? "Open it, please, it is for us." He was excited, like it was his present. I opened the box, there lay in a purple velvet lined box, two pair of night goggles and two pair of long range hearing devices. My mouth fell open, I was speechless, words wouldn't come out, it was something I always wanted. I guess he did also. I hugged and kissed him. "Can you wait until dark?" he asked. I told him that I couldn't wait. We were both impatient, but finally night came. We geared up. We looked silly. He was dressed in black khakis and black T-shirt and new blackshoes, not shiney this time. Was this another new outfit that just came out of his closet? I was never shocked when something new came out of his closet, I got used to it. He wanted to be unseen. I had a black jogging suit and blacksocks. He thought life was a costume party and he played the part for every occasion. His motto to me was "Life is full of events, dress for it." When we finally came home and ungeared, we talked for a long time on everything from his work to my work to what we saw and heard. We didn't even watch TV. We were both getting tired, but he was going to stay up for awhile. I walked to the bedroom and just happen to notice the garbage needed to be taken out. It was already tied. I took it out of the bin, and in the bottom of the bin was a dremel bit. I untied the trash, there were a lot of dremel bits. All different sizes, fractured. I reached in to pick up the massacre, I also felt a blade of some kind. It was one half of my favorite pair of scissors, the ones I kept in a drawer so he wouldn't try chopping food or metal and for another fact wood. I didn't try to find the other half, I just took everything outside. I couldn't help but smile from his efforts. I crawled into bed, something was under my pillow. A notecard. I turned the light on and opened it. It read: New dremel replacements in dremel box and a new pair of scissors you like are in the drawer I am not suppose to find. I love you and I know we were meant to be together. I went to the sofa where he was, he was asleep, with the dog and cat on top of him. I crawled up there too. That's where we all slept that night. I can't seem to get myself to finish our book. I still have it though. I walk the pets but it's not an adventure. I miss him. I miss my husband. | |||
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
My Playmate, My Soulmate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment